Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Concert:

a public musical performance in which a number of singers or instrumentalists, or both, participate.

I went to Nofx this weekend. I had fun. Except I'll probably never go to a concert again.
Maybe Rancid, probably not.
Why?
I got the crap beat out of me. I used up way too much energy (I'm getting old and I need to be better at conserving it). It's a perfect example of "thrill seeking" from Pres. Clark's devotional. And they insulted my God and my beliefs.

I need to put my time, money, and energy into something productive.

President Clark's devotional at the beginning of this semester broadened my understanding of the baptismal covenant. I know my body is not my own and I need to take care of it, i.e. don't get tattoos, eat and be healthy, etc.
but I'd never considered "shoot(ing) guns at canisters of propane" or "jump(ing) off bridges into shallow rivers" to be breaking those covenants.

"You are under covenant to take care of your bodies and use them according to the Lord’s will and purpose.... You do not have to break your covenants in order to have a good time."

Putting myself in situations where I know the spirit cannot dwell and placing myself in danger is contrary to covenants I have made. Engaging in those activities will only deter me from my goals and my real purpose.

I have things to do and I can't let these minuscule distractions derail my progress.

Yup.
And I'm going to Jackson Hole this weekend. I'm going hiking. It's going to be awesome.

1 comment:

Tyson Pyle said...

I see you are finally seeing the light little brittany......NOFX sucks.